We've been fans of reading challenges for a while now and are quite excited to get to host our own. Reading challenges are a great way to read outside your comfort zone—and you get to do it with other bookish friends!
It officially begins January 1st, 2019 and ends December 31st, 2019.
Here’s the rundown: complete as many challenges as you can from the list below. If you have one book that covers two categories, feel free to count it for both. It's not a contest. Our goal is to encourage you to read widely (and fight the patriarchy, but that was probably a given), so just have fun with it! To help cheer you on, we’ll be hosting mini giveaways along the way.
Be sure to share your progress, use the hashtag #ReadingWomenChallenge.
Need some recommendations? Scroll to the bottom of this page for a list of resources and join the Goodreads group.
My books for this one:
- Nature: Quicksilver Chronicles--Frances K. Woods
- Historical Fiction: Journey to Topaz--Yoshiki Uchida
- Woman With a Mental Illness: Wasted--Marya Hornbacher
- Any Book From a Series: The Isle of the Lost--Melissa De La Cruz
- Family Saga: The Gangster We Are All Looking For--Le Thi Diem Thuy
- Play: A Raisin in the Sun--Lorraine Hansberry
- Picked Up Because of the Cover: The Female Persuasion--Meg Wolitzer
- Romance or Love Story: The Last Time I Saw You--Elizabeth Berg
- Novella: Speak--Laurie Halse Anderson
- Women in Science: Hidden Figures--Margot Lee Sheerly
- Mystery or Thriller by a Woman of Color: Bluebird, Bluebird--Attica Locke
- Children's Book: Tuck Everlasting--Natalie Babbitt
- Lambda Literary Award Winner: Hard Love--Ellen Wittlinger
- Myth Retelling: Vinegar Girl--Anne Tyler
- YA Book by a Woman of Color: The Sun is Also a Star--Nicola Yoon
- South Asian Author: The Inheritance of Loss--Kiran Desai
- Bought in 2019: Radical Sanity--Elizabeth Wurtzel
- Featuring a Religion Other Than Your Own: Rachel--Vivian Schurfranz
- Woman Athlete: Courage to Soar--Simone Biles
- Translated Book Published Before 1945: The Tale of Genji--Murasaki Shikibu