Saturday, October 10, 2020

Really Scary Ideas for Costumes in 2020

Something I'm hoping not to see this year. Then again, with most celebrations canceled for Halloween this year, there's a good chance there won't be too many, except maybe a few Facebook or Instagram posts of those who might do this. And in my neck of the woods, I never seem to see any costumes that are projected to be the most popular each Halloween, anyway. In 2009, I did not see one person as Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett or Billy Mays (the Oxi Clean guy). And there was not a single Hillary or Trump to be seen in 2016. Nor any Caitlin Jenners either. Yet I still do wonder about the following.



In a normal year seeing a costume such as this might not seem bad, but how would dressing as a Corona Beer bottle seem this year, what with the beer having the same name as the virus?


But it can be worse...





Both these costumes are for sale on Amazon.



 




And wouldn't you know there are hand sanitizer costumes for sale? And toilet paper rolls and disinfectant wipes (both of these are for sale at rastaimposta.com): 




And even before Covid hit, someone made this group costume including a container of Lysol disinfectant wipes (click the link to see how they got this idea and how it was done):




Yahoo came out with a list of the most controversial costumes for the year, which not surprisingly includes the Karen masks and the Corona-19 bottle pictured above, as well as political costumes, something I don't want to get started on. I would not expect to see any political costumes where I live, anyway, since I never seem to see these in a normal year. 

And this list from Yahoo ranking the "best worst worst 2020-themed Halloween costumes."  A lot of the stuff on this list isn't surprising either. Also, many of them I wouldn't expect to see in my neighborhood.

I'm usually one to avoid topical pop-culture based costumes. Many were hoping for the virus to end before this year is over, but that is obviously not happening, but even if it had, I certainly would not have chosen any costume based on the virus. It's got to be the worst choice for a costume in any year.


3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Shudder. I am not certain that I would open the door to anyone dressed in any of these costumes.

Mary Kirkland said...

Yeah, those are just bad costumes. lol

Lady M said...

I think all Halloween costumes this year should come with a face mask - just saying that would be appropriate.