Thursday, October 8, 2020

To Dress or Not to Dress for Halloween...

That is a question I have been pondering. With parties being discouraged because of the pandemic, no potluck parties allowed at work, and bar celebrations likely cancelled, it almost seems pointless. Though I keep expecting to see Facebook and Instagram posts of people's disguises for the year. And I keep looking at costumes on sites like Amazon and am tempted to do something. If I decide to, I have a solution: wear one those I still have in one of my drawers. As I said earlier, I still have the accessories for the Tropical Depression costume, though I'm not sure if I still have the hat.  I also still have the tie-dye I wore for our 60s party at work in 2018. That would be an easy one to redo.




Same for the bumble bee/lady bug and genie from prior years, and last year's magician costume. I don't seem to have  the skirt with dice I wore for our 50s party in 2019, though. Right now, I'm looking at either the tie-dye dress or Tropical Depression.






I honestly don't know why I kept all these. Perhaps I was planning to donate them to Goodwill or something, but never got around to it, even before the pandemic hit. I usually don't like repeating costumes, but will probably do so this year, given the current circumstances. And I have the resources to do so. 

Usually, I will be searching the Internet for costume ideas, then looking at thrifts stores for clothing that will work, even using what I already have on hand at home. But I have only been to the Goodwill once since its reopening and was uncertain about Halloween then even as I saw the displays of cowboy, hippie and other costumes made from second-hand clothing, and as I saw other customers buying stuff for costumes. I have been uncertain since this summer and was even suspicious about the rest of the year's holidays as the pandemic hit in mid-March. I guess keeping the previous years' costume elements was a good thing for this year.  I'm hoping next year will be better and I will find something new to create.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it. I know how important dressing for Halloween is for you.