Thursday, December 10, 2020

The 2021 Children's Books Reading Challenge -- for Adults!

 This is a new one. I like the idea of this one.


I've just about finished signing up for all the reading challenges I'm planning on participating in for 2021. I've browsed my TBR shelves to prepare and there's one unexpected thing I've found: I have a lot of children's books there. 

I know a lot of adults really enjoy reading youth or young adult fiction but, other than the occasional classic, I've never really been into it in my adulthood. Still, I must be somewhat interested or I wouldn't have 10-15 or so children's books hanging out on my TBR!

So, I've created the Children's Books Reading Challenge...for Adults! Sure, I read with my kids all the time---but this year I'm challenging myself to read more children's books by myself.

Want to join? It's easy! Just let me know in the comments below. If you have a blog or a Goodreads account you'd like to link up, even better! Then, every time you read a book for the challenge, just come back here and let us know about it with your thoughts or link in the comments. That way we can all be inspired! Let's use this hashtag: #2021ChildrensBooksChallenge on social media so we can find one another easier.

What books qualify? That one's simple: it's up to you! Anything you think could be found in the children's section of a library or bookstore is applicable, as well as timeless classics that the whole family would enjoy. I can't wait to see what everyone is reading!

My Books:

  1. Chasing Redbird--Sharon Creech 
  2. Other Words For Home--Jasmine Warga
  3. Fudge-A-Mania--Judy Blume
  4. Brown Girl Dreaming--Jacqueline Woodson (reread)
  5. Girl in Blue--Ann Rinaldi 
  6. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend--Matthew Dicks
  7. The Earth is Painted Green--Barbara Brenner
  8. The Worst Witch--Jill Murphy
  9. Caddie Woodlawn--Carol Ryrie Brink
  10. Monster High--Lisi Harrison
  11. The Secret Garden--Frances Hodgson Burnett
  12. On the Banks of Plum Creek--Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
  13. Winter of the Ice Wizard--Mary Pope Osborne
  14. Dingoes at Dinnertime--Mary Pope Osborne
  15. Way Past Bedtime--Tara Lazar
  16. Inside Out & Back Again--Thanhha Lai
  17. What I Like About Me--Allia Zobel Nolan
  18. Moldilocks and the Three Scares--Lynne Marie
  19. A Big Day for Baseball--Mary Pope Osborne
  20. Wings--Cheryl B. Klein
  21. The Courage of Sarah Noble--Alice Dalgliesh
  22. Fighting Words--Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
  23. The White Stag--Kate Seredy
  24. Dinosaurs Before Dark--Mary Pope Osborne
  25. Harlem--Walter Dean Myers
  26. How to Be a Pirate--Cressida Cowell
  27. Invincible Louisa--Cornelia Meigs
  28. The Chocolate Touch--Patrick Skene Catling
  29. Haunted Castle on Hallow's Eve--Mary Pope Osborne
  30. It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse!--Laura Numeroff
  31. Los Gatos Black on Halloween--Marisa Montes
  32. Stick Dog Craves Candy--Tom Watson
  33. Who Stole Halloween?--Martha Freeman
  34. Mummies in the Morning--Mary Pope Osborne
  35. Ten, Nine, Eight--Molly Bang
  36. Mirror--Alexandra Day
  37. The Scariest Book Ever--Bob Shea
  38. The Ghosts Go Haunting--Helen Ketteman
  39. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon--Grace Lim
  40. A Dash of Trouble--Anna Meriano
  41. What Makes a Family?--Annette Griffin
  42. Llama, Llama, Red Pajama--Anna Dewdney
  43. Frostborn--Lou Anders
  44. Pictures of Hollis Woods--Patricia Reilly Giff
  45. A Visit From St. Nicholas--Clement C. Moore (reread)
  46. The Christmas Barn--John and Jennifer Churchman
  47. Construction Site on Christmas Night--Sherri Duskey Rinker
  48. A Wish for Elves--Mark Goneya (reread)
  49. All I Want for Christmas is Ewe--Rose Rossner
  50. Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree--Robert Barry
  51. A Coronavirus Christmas--Shannon Jett
  52. Dewey's Christmas at the Library--Vicki Myron & Bret Witter
  53. The Eight Knights of Hanukkah--Leslie Kimmelman
  54. Who Was Joan of Arc?--Pam Pollack
  55. Super Santa: The Science of Christmas--Bruce Hale
  56. A Very Merry Little Christmas--Mary Engelbreit
  57. Chez Bob--Bob Shea
  58. Santa in the City--Tiffany D. Jackson
  59. Pete the Cat's 12 Groovy Days of Christmas--Kimberly Dean
Calling challenge complete on December 21

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I still read (and reread) children's books. And never regret it. Have fun.

Sarah Coller said...

I'm glad you've joined, Jamie!