Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Candy Corn Treat

On top of the bag, just before consumption.
This was something we had for sale at work, in the displays near the cash registers.  As the title says,  it's a candy treat, actually one of those treats made from Rice Krispies or similar cereals with marshmallows, made to look like a piece of candy corn.

I took a photo of this before eating it, which was actually about two weeks ago.   I didn't get around to blogging about it till now, since I had some much else to put for the countdown.  But I took the pictures since I knew I was going to mention this eventually.

Before removing the treat from the bag.
The characteristic candy corn tri-color design is made from white and orange frosting, with tiny yellow sprinkles.  I have never really known what those things are called.  I guess there was no yellow frosting. Either that or the person who made it liked the yellow sprinkles.

In the package
Pumpkin treat unwrapped before eating
Also there was this pumpkin treat, also made from Rice Krispies, with orange frosting and orange sprinkles, and green sprinkles for the pumpkin stem.

Needless to say there was a lot of sugar with the frosting on top of the cereal and melted marshmallows that were used to make the treats.   Rice Krispies treats are often just eaten as is, without frosting.  But the frosting was needed in this instance to make the pumpkin and candy corn look like a pumpkin and candy corn.

And while I'm on the subject of pumpkins, I got one at the party I attended last Saturday. It's still sitting in my house, as I have not yet decided what to do with it.  It's been so long since I've carved a pumpkin.  I'm not sure if I'll do that, but I sure don't want an uncarved pumpkin sitting around after Halloween.  I wouldn't know what to do with it then.  So I may just try to carve a simple face.

And speaking of candy corn, I got some of that today at Safeway as their generic brand is on sale this week.   Candy corn is most popular around Halloween, though it's also sold for other holidays. I know I'll be seeing the Christmas version soon, the green, red and white version called "Reindeer Corn."  This coming Sunday is what as known as National Candy Corn Day. 

No comments: